Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Update!

Dear readers:

I have been horribly abusive to my blog the past several weeks.  It seems like life just sweeps you up sometimes and at those times where it’s actually less busy, a guy just feels like resting a little bit.  I’m starting to think it’s probably better to do short, quick updates on this blog rather than waiting months and then trying to recap in one larger one.  If only I were as good as Mario Minelli in keeping my blog updated.  I shall try to be better.  J

Racing season has begun

After a longer than normal winter (with no guarantees it’s over yet), racing season has officially begun.  I’ve now raced the past two weekends, with varying degrees of success.  Both races, in their own respect, were difficult.

Falls Duathlon – Cannon Falls

I was optimistic about my ability to flirt with a top 10 finish this year, given the level and intensity of my off-season training.  I also acquired a ‘big boy’ bike in the offseason, so even if I couldn’t really keep up, I could at least look like the elite guys. 

The day started off rough weather wise.  The forecast had called for rain the whole week.  Fortunately, I woke up to dry pavement.  I began to feel a little more optimistic about the probability it might not rain.  After review of the radar, my hopes were dashed.  I could see lots of green on the radar north of Rochester.  The drive northward confirmed my fears – yep, lots of rain.

Pre-race was very wet and miserable.  I got set up, trying to put things in bags or under towels as much as I could.  It seemed like a losing cause – it was more to humor myself at that point.  It continued to rain through warm-ups.  Gosh, this was going to be really awful. 

Ten minutes before the start, it stopped.  Now, let’s not get too crazy here – it didn’t get sunny and warm, but it did stop raining.  Ironically, it wouldn’t rain again until after race completion.  Of course, it’s important to note that once your bike, shoes, socks, clothes, etc are wet, they are probably going to stay that way.  But at least a guy wouldn’t get an eye full of rain during competition.

The race began pretty well.  As is usual with the adrenaline rush at the gun, my first mile was fast and a little faster than was sustainable or at least desired as I ran a sub-six.  I came into T1 at a 6:08 and in around 15th or so place.  The bike out was wet but doable.  Cross winds hit followed by a little tail wind.  I was blowing past guys on the course and making up for my slower run.  The most difficult/scary part of the bike course was the semis.  They would fly past, spraying us with rain and blasts of wind.  This is one of the few times in multi-sport events where being bigger is an advantage – I was less prone to be blown square off my bike by the sudden, strong gusts of wind.  All in all though, I felt good off the bike.  I’d moved past several and was somewhere 7th to 8th.

I came out of T2 a little concerned.  Both of my calves were cramping fiercely and my feet had gotten wet and were now frozen blocks.  I came up over the first hill in R2 unsure if I could keep going.  Cramped badly, I stopped for about 5 seconds to try and rub out the cramps.  No dice.  I wasn’t going to quit so I kept going.  Fortunately, but about the half mile mark, I’d run through the cramps and my feet had warmed.  I was on my way.

I could see what I believe were the 5th and 6th place guys out ahead of me.  They were 50 yards or so ahead and I’d stayed even with them since the bike.  Having re-established my running legs, I felt as if I might be able to make a run at them.  I crossed up a short hill and over a bridge.  In hindsight, I should have known right away when I didn’t see them out ahead of me there was something wrong, but I didn’t…..

I ran about 2-3 blocks straight ahead and suddenly got that sinking feeling.  You begin to realize that you’re all alone and wonder if there’s a chance you’ve run off the race route.  Yes, indeed.  I came to a T-intersection and hung a left, no clue of where I was.  Oh crap.  As I took a left, I saw the bike course and a volunteer.  Maybe I could get back on course and pull out a top ten yet.

He directed me back to the path and said I could get back on there.  He was absolutely correct – unfortunately – he didn’t tell me how to complete the mile loop I’d end up short.  As I got on the path, I saw cones and felt good I was going the right way.  However, about a half mile up, I rounded a corner and saw the finish.  I looked at my watch – one mile short.  I looked again – 1:01:30.  The course record was 1:03.  I was out ahead of the leader.  *#*)!^)*!

It was here I had a decision – get back on the course and run the 3 miles again or call it a day.  I felt absolutely horrible about making the decision to DNF – I’ve never had to do that before in any race.  Even if I’m way behind I always finish.  The only thing that would keep me from quitting would be a broken bone.  However, I decided to quit.  It was a decision I thought about the whole next week.

I try and not looking back at what could have been, but I probably would have finished somewhere between 5th and 7th that day.  Oh, what could have been…

Cinco ‘du’ Mayo – Stillwater

This race would be different in many ways.  Although rain was again threatened right up to the night before, it would start out cloudy and cool, turning sunny, warm and beautiful by the end.  And most importantly, I’d run this route last year and it required much less thinking and paying attention.

That said, the Cinco course is a much tougher, hillier and grueling course than is Cannon Falls.  Off the gun, the usual adrenaline rush hit in a 5:53 first mile.  Then reality set in quickly and I slowed down, knowing I had a long race ahead of me with many hills and some elite guys just ahead.  It’s truly a marathon, not a sprint.  Remember that, Erich!

I came into T1 at around a 6:15 pace, about 15 seconds faster than goal.  I was planning to play the R1 conservatively, which I had done, but was still able to hold a good pace.  I was 9th after the first run. 

On the bike I felt fast, faster than I thought I would be given a few wicked hills and some rollers to add flavor.  I immediately passed a female cyclist and could see a couple out ahead of me.  It took me about 8 miles to reach the other two, who I passed within a few seconds of each other.  From there, I continued to survey the landscape as I entered my second loop of the 20 – no one there.  I was pretty sure the other 5 out ahead would not be seen again until the run.  I was right.

Again, I started to feel cramping on the bike.  I’m not sure if it’s my positioning, my aggressive nature on the bike or what, but this is the second week.  At one point, I dropped into the little ring and tried to stand on the hill, which made the cramping so bad I had to slow down.  I was eventually able to move past it and finished the bike in 6th.  As I passed Kathy on the run, she shouted out my place.  “The 5th place guy is 3 minutes ahead,” she announced.  “Yep, sorta what I figured,” I thought.

R2 was one of the most difficult I’ve experienced.  I’d mentally talked myself into believing the hills would eat me up.  I also seem to panic a little bit on the second run.  I always feel my breath get to such a fast level and I have to literally tell myself to calm down and relax.  I got out to the turn around for the second 5k and circled back.  Crap, there was one of the guys I passed right on my tail.  Crap, there’s another one and another one.

The first guy I saw, a 53 year old, blew past me at about the 1.8-1.9 mark.  He ran past like I was standing still – he had to be at a 6:00 or better pace.  The only positive thought I had in my head was, “Well, at least he’s not in my age group.”  J  I wasn’t sure how fast the guy behind him was moving.  I didn’t necessarily realize it, but after mile 2 (my slowest at 7:02), I kicked it in.  I was breathing so hard I’m sure the people crossing me on the other side of the road thought I was going to keel over.  I felt like that was possible!

As I rounded the final corner into the park (less than .25 miles left), I glanced over my shoulder and saw no one.  There it was – a 7th place finish.  Not too shabby!  As I ran into the finish line gate, several people yelled out, “You’re going to break the course record!”  I looked at the timer – 1:33:00 flat.  I’d broken the record by over a minute.

I couldn’t breathe for a few minutes afterwards.  I was so glad to be done yet pretty stoked.  I slapped the guy on the back who’d passed me on R2.  We congratulated each other for out individual accomplishments – him blowing past me on the run, me blowing past him on the bike.  I greeted and congratulated the other top guys.

I ended up second in my age group and 7th overall – redemption for the weekend before. 

Upcoming Races

Kathy and I are racing Oakdale next weekend – we believe it’s a 3/14/3 race.  From what I recall, it’s markedly easier than Cinco.  From there, I have one more race before a pretty good break.  The fourth race weekend in a row for me is the Gear West duathlon in Orono.  That will be a true test – lots of tremendous athletes.

Kathy will begin her triathlons in June and I’ll be done until one straggler at Du at the Dam at the end of June.  After that, I don’t race again until August (Minneapolis – my big one of the year).

Other happenings

Other than training and racing, work has continued to be busy yet productive.  I’m still trying to figure out everything I’m responsible for in my new role while continuing with my current duties too.  It’s been a crazy couple of months with various fraud cases and things that rarely crop up day to day, but I’ve managed.  It’s slowed down a little now which has been nice – just in time for taking some afternoons off early and enjoying some nice weather!

We also just found out that a product I co-developed with a peer won a pretty prestigious award for innovation.  I’ll be accepting the award tomorrow.  It feels good for lots of hard work and is nice to receive recognition.

I’m off to Orlando today for a conference I’m speaking at (and accepting the above mentioned award).  This is my second trip to Orlando in the past 6 weeks but this trip should be more fun than the last (not staying at Disney!!!) – another one in less than a month.  I’ll be ready to be finished with Florida after that.  J  I’m excited to see my friend, Paula Reimer (crap, she just got married and I don’t know her last name now) in June.

We will be starting co-ed sand league VB in the next week or so.  Our spring season came to a premature end as we missed the playoffs in 5th place.  It’s been a trying couple of seasons – I’m hoping we’ll bounce back in the summer.  I’m playing 4 on 4 this summer.

I also finished my third year of teaching Forensic Accounting and Auditing a couple weeks ago.  It was another whirlwind class – the seven weeks flew.  We had a lot of fun and had some interesting conversations – very standard for this course.  I decided not to teach Auditing this summer – I just can’t do another summer class.  I hope to pick up another course or two in future years though – I like the consistency of having some of the same students in multiple classes.  Time will tell – but I know future summer classes are out!

Farewell Iowa Phi Beta Lambda

At the end of March, I planned and executed my final PBL State Leadership Conference as Iowa PBL State Adviser.  The weekend went well and the conference evaluations were overall very positive.  It was a bitter-sweet weekend for me and I’m glad the hectic feeling around a large event is past.  I will miss all of my friends in Iowa PBL as I step away from my leadership role.  However, I will be back to help in a lower profile role.  I look forward to seeing what the new leadership team is able to accomplish.

Australia Trip Booked

It’s official!  Kathy and I are headed to Australia in January.  We’ll be there about two and a half weeks.  We are all set with flights and hotel and now have some time to plan the details of our time over there.  We’re very excited!

That’s all for now……………

1 comment:

  1. Jealous of your Australia trip! Where all are you going to go? Let me know if you have any questions... I studied there for a semester in college! Sounds like you guys have a lot going on and are very busy and things are going great!!! LOVE the profile picture above! Awesome photo!

    ~Jennifer Tyson

    ReplyDelete