Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Training and Races for 2011

As I elude to in my "about me" section, I've become a fairly strict (some would say obsessed) multi-sport athlete.  In some ways, my wife is right in that I'll plan my day/week/month around getting my training hours in at the gym.  However, I've discovered, even in my rookie season of racing, that I have some natural strengths that others don't.  I'm actually a pretty fast cyclist (faster than most anyway) and running comes fairly natural.  Though I'm not the fastest guy out there, I also don't have years of training under my belt.

I also have a great "coach" and friend, Jason Sinnwell, to help me train correctly.  He's an excellent runner and does a good job in providing me with a doable workout plan weekly.  It's nothing overly world shaking but it keeps me grounded and accountable.

So...you might be wondering what events I'll be racing in this year.  The list, thus far, is pretty long.  By September, I'm convinced I'll be ready to take some time off!

Falls Duathlon - Cannon Falls - April 30
Cinco "Du" Mayo - Stillwater - May 7
Oakdale Duathlon - Lake Elmo - May 14
Du at the Dam - Coon Rapids - June 25
Turtleman Du - August 13
Minneapolis Duathlon - August 27
Mosquitoman Duathlon - September 4
Treadman Duathlon - Pine Island - September 11
Park Tool Duathlon - Lake Elmo - September 17
Cannon Wells Duathlon - Faribault - September 24

Of these, I've raced in all but the Falls, Cannon Wells & Turtleman.  Turtleman used to be a tri but was moved to a duathlon for 2011.  The others I've done as at least a relay in the past.  Mosquitoman is a tough R/B/R/B/R event and was super competitive last year.  Minneapolis is the largest by far (and my best % place overall in 2010).  Treadman is a local event with many people I know - it's by far the toughest bike course of all events.

I hope to also do some local running races, probably as long as a 10k.  One of my friends, Dan Roellinger, is a pretty good runner locally and I'm hoping to keep pace with him this year.  If I'm fortunate, maybe I can even pull out a victory over him this year.  Dan claims he doesn't care about this, but I think he will the first time I finish ahead.  :)

That's it for now.  I'll provide updates on training periodically.

No comments:

Post a Comment